Sunday, March 15, 2009

My faith looks up to Thee...

These words have been fresh on my heart for several weeks now. One of my favorite "old" hymns that still says it all today..."my faith looks up to Thee, thou lamb of Calvary...Savior divine..."

The past few weeks have been difficult. My sweet Uncle Al was seriously injured in a car accident, suffering a broken neck, broken back, a "degloved" hand, and a broken arm. He is so very special to me. When Roy, Christine and I moved back to Texas from Iowa, we lived with Uncle Al and Aunt Nini and their girls, Leann and Kristi. They are such a wonderful part of our family and I pray daily for his complete recovery.

In early February, our family lost a precious friend...Suity. We lived across the alley in Whitewright, Texas for several years while my daddy coached there. I remember so much about her. She had the most gorgeous red hair, the most infectious laugh, and was such a lady. She is the first woman I can remember being allowed to call by her first name, instead of "Mrs...". Her daughter, Tressa, affectionately known to all then as Dumpy (short for Dumpling), babysat us, was a cheerleader, and went to the prom with my Uncle Al who lived with us for a time. Her son, Will, was my sister's first crush...don't deny it, Donna! He didn't get to play for my dad, because we had moved away from there before he had the chance, but he did play at East Texas and for the Cleveland Browns and we followed him closely in both places. Truth be told, he was probably my first crush too! Her husband, Joe, adored her. Her trusty beagles obeyed her. And we all cried when we lost her.
suity
When we went back for her funeral service, my brother, David, and I stood in her back yard and looked across the alley at the yard where we had played, skinned knees, waited for warm sugar cookies at the neighbor's house. We remembered Arnold and Frances, who so lovingly cared for David when we were in school, and who became extra grandparents to each of us...they moved into our old house and lived there in their later years. We drove downtown where Donna and I could walk, barefoot, to the snowcone stand, or go to the drugstore for a milkshake, or walk to the feed store and visit mama. We passed the old football field where we watched so many practices and cheered at so many games. As we drove out of town, we looked at all the "old" places, some now replaced with "new" places...some the same as when we left. And even though we wouldn't change anything we have in our lives now, it was kind of sad. It's like the town stopped in the 60's...when innocence was the norm and kids were safe. When I think of Whitewright, Texas, I will always remember Suity...and I will miss her.

We lost a precious newborn in our church family who fought valiantly for 13 days. I was at the hospital when Cash Samuel Collins was born and we all prayed that his fight would be strong and that God would heal him. And when he went home to be with Jesus, sadness overwhelmed us. So tiny, so new, so fresh...and now so safely in the arms of Jesus.

"...now hear me while me while I pray...take all my guilt away..."

On the same day Cash was born, my daddy had his eye operation. He has healed beautifully, and we are so thankful for that. And so thankful for my mama...his very own "Florence Nightingale"!

My dear friend, Sharon Washburn, was also diagnosed with Stage 3 Breast Cancer. She is one of those friends who you don't have to see all the time. We became friends when our daughters, Taylor and Emily, were friends at FWC. She always has the sweetest smile and warmest hugs. She has been such an encouragement to me through Christine's trials. She loves Christine so deeply and even while Sharon is suffering through the unknown, sitting in the chemo chair, she is praying for my daughter and for others who need the Lord's help. Her fight is just beginning, but her warrior is the One who can win all battles, all wars. We will stand in the gap with her and I ask you to pray for her each and every day.

My precious Uncle Bill, my mama's older brother, is very ill also. He has fought with his health for many years and valiantly fought through removal of part of his lung this past year. His body is tired...he has fought the good fight. I pray that God will carry him through these days with a loving hand and a knowledge that his heavenly home is waiting. I miss him...praying that I can make a quick trip with my parents down there very soon.

And, for the past 4 weeks, I have been fighting the flu, which was accompanied by bronchitis. This past week, I was rushed in an ambulance to the hospital with heart attack symptoms, but which actually turned out to be a serious asthma attack. I have suffered through a stroke, a heart attack, my husband's illness, my daughter's chronic suffering, my parent's illnesses, 2 very premature grandbabies,and so many other things, but I don't think I have ever been that afraid. Asthma is tricky in adults. It can shut you down in literally minutes. I don't want to be afraid, for I know that God is certainly in control.

"oh...let me from this day...be wholly thine." Be WHOLLY thine...completely belong to the Father...let Him work His plan and be a willing servant when He calls. And do not fear...

I don't post this for sympathy, or for the "oh, poor you" response...but this reason alone...

"MY FAITH LOOKS UP TO THEE"...the one who can heal each of us...and the one who comforts us when He cannot.

Be blessed today...

4 comments:

christine pinson said...

you had all of us scared...i hate asthma!
this post perfectly illustrates one very big reason i have not completely crumbled under the weight of my own illness...i have watched my own mother suffer through more than you should have to physically and still always turn around and give glory to the Lord...I have watched you give of yourself to others with your whole heart...and as i continue to walk my own frustrating journey with physical pain, i can feel encouraged in my spirit because I have watched you pick yourself back up so many times...you have sat by my bedside so many times and probably will some more...and any strength that people may think i have through it all is learned from the strongest woman i know...my mama...
i want you to feel better so you can get back to doing what you love...loving on others...especially all of your babies...it's not your nature to be taken care of...even this post is written mostly about others that you are thinking of...you are used to being the caregiver...but i hope that you have felt the love of many this last week...you are a blessing to so many and i am so thankful for you...
it really does feel like when it rains, in our family, it pours...but i know the only way we make it through is because we hold on tightly to each other and to our ultimate PEACE and our HEALER...
i pray you can rest...i pray for breathing that comes without pain, sleep that can go uninterrupted, and a peace in your spirit knowing that you are loved by so many and held by a faithful Father...

Lynn said...

Checking today to see how everyone is. Hope today is much better for you all. Thinking of you all daily!

Courtney said...

Praying daily for all of you! Love you and your heart!

Unknown said...

I am praying for you daily... my family needs you and you are so very important to me and my boys!!!!